Sunday, July 17, 2011

There is a restaurant in the Monroeville, PA area

that has banned children under six years old from coming in. The report I read says that emails are pouring in and this move is supported by an 11 to 1 margin.

It is a private enterprise and as far as I am concerned I have no problem with that whatsoever. For years I have always held with the idea of free enterprise and I have always figured a restaurant owner should have the right to refuse service to anyone and for just about any reason.

I very well might go and dine there sometime simply because it is a place where I can go and not have to listen to someone's darling little spoiled brat.

It would be nice to be able to go to a restaurant and sit down and eat and not worry that I have left my piano wire garrotte at home and eat knowing that I won't need it to strangle some misbehaving little whelp that has decided to cut loose with the shriek. Most of you readers know what 'the shriek' is. It is that loud, shrill high pitched noise that spoiled brats make to get their own way. You know the one. The sound that is like having an ice pick stuck in your ear.

Enter MOB.

Mothers of Brats, the new organization of parents that think that the rest of us should be forced to put up with their darling little misbehaving children anywhere any time any place the parents decide to take them.

They will pop out of the woodwork and start caterwallering about how it isn't fair that the big mean restaurant owner doesn't want to cater to their little squalling spawn from hell.

Now, you may think I do not like children, but that is not the case. I like kids and in reality I don't mind dining around them whatsoever if they behave themselves. My gripe is with those parents that do not control their children. I have gone out to dinner before and offered well behaving kids a dessert and complimented the parents on having such well behaved kids. I enjoy having them around so long as they behave themselves.

No, it won't be long before the Mothers of Brats organize and start raising cain and ruining things for the rest of us. They will take this to court and nine old farts will decide that the rest of us have to have these brats inflicted on us because it is age discrimination.

Of course, then the restaurant might take another tack and if they do it might be fun to watch.

Since day one establishments have had the right to throw people out because of their conduct. I have opened the exit door with my face a few times over the years and looking back on it I deserved it. I was conducting myself in an unsuitable manner and was shown the door. Fair enough.

It would be interesting to watch some big bruiser bouncer type pick up a four year old and gently take him and carefully place him outside the door. The ensuing parental involvement would be a horror show of epic proportions and a hoot to watch. Indignant parents would stand up, the mother would freak out and inside of a few short seconds the parents would be joining their little spawn outside on the porch. Maybe the parents could open the door with their face, too.

This would not bother me a whit, in fact I would probably be entertained because it would be a sight to behold, worthy of the Jerry Springer Show.

Of course, MOB would get involved but they probably would not be able to do a whole lot because this is not an age issue, but one of conduct. The kid didn't behave himself and got chucked out. So what? This happens to adults all the time. Where's the age discrimination?

MOB wanted to fight the restaurant on the basis of age and just got themselves a valuable lesson. With rights go responsibility. The kid wasn't thrown out because of age, the kid was chucked out for reasons of conduct. Tango Sierra.

It is going to be interesting how this deal in Monroeville, PA pans out.

Incidentally, the people I blame for this are those lousy parents that take their misbehaving kids out for all of us to tolorate. It is another case of things being 'dumbed down' by the actions of a few.




my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment