Thursday, November 1, 2012

On the East Coast

I was sitting at the office of the place where I work discussing the actions I watched Pittsburgher taking in emergency preperations for Sandy which was only predicted to give us a stiff breeze and rain. I pointed out that as soon as there is any bad weather predicted that everyone and their cousin runs down to the store and stocks up on bread, milk and eggs.




"They do that everywhere," Slats Andrews said. "Didn't you know that in times of bad weather everyone lives on French toast?"



Huh. He might be right. At least it sounds like it to me. I never gave it much thought as I generally live on all the usual stuff during periods of inclement weather, although if we lose electricity I generally do what a lot of normal people do. I eat up the perishables as fast as I can so they won't go bad on me.



Generally the power isn't off for too long so that really isn't much of a problem but it can get to be a hassle if the power does go off for any length of time.



I wrote earlier that I saw a lot of people stocking up on stuff before Sandy even hit the beach and a lot of it didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me because I saw a lot of shopping carts full of perishables and stuff that wasn't going to last very long if the power grid went down.



A gallon of ice cream isn't going to last very long without refrigeration.



On the other hand, a can of chili or canned lasagna will last quite a while if the power goes down as it really does not need the services of the family refrigerator to keep.



While maybe things like canned chili or beef stew are not the most appetizing things in the world to live on, they will keep you alive and healthy and during a storm they do a fairly nice job of breaking up the regimen of French Toast as having it three times a day during bad weather gets old after a while.



Yet I saw few shopping carts with very many unperishables in them.



This leads me to believe that everyone that weathers out the storm may very well wind up living on French Toast.



Maybe Slats was right.



&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&  

New York City got clobbered pretty good and I have seen some of it firsthand. Still, I think it will only take a few days for things to get back to normal. What interested me somewhat is that I heard some woman on the radio yesterday whining about things.  

A couple of us discussed that New Yorkers really have no sense of nature as Manhatten is nothing but steel and concrete and to a lot of these people their idea of a wild animal is something like a tree.   Still, the cleanup crews arre pretty good and have been well trained.  

One idiot reported asked the mayor if they could expect this kind of thing to happen more often.   This is yet another reason I have not gone into governmental service because I likey would have told the reporter to expect things like this on a weekly basis.  

While I hate to see anyone get hit bu a terrible storm, New York was really overdue as if has been deecades since anything like this has happened. I suppose somethimes a reality check is in order. It could have been one hell of a lot worse.



my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment