Sunday, July 7, 2013

Dateline 2 July

One of the thiings that cracks me up is the guy that is buying something and gripes about how the item he is looking at buying is a piece of overpriced junk.

Of course, the item he is selling is 14 carat gold.

There have been two things recently that I do not buy used and not for the reasons people think. I don't buy used ham transceivers or Toyota pickups. It's cheaper to buy them new.

It used to be that a guy could expect to pay about half for a two year old car but those days are long gone, especially for Toyota pickups. Used ham gear used to sell for cheap.

Neither of these depreciate a whole lot these days but it is said that used ham gear will go down in price over the next decade as the age of hams is high and the gear will go up for sale in estate sales as they turn Silent Key.

I don't see used pickups going down any time soon, though.

It makes little sense to buy used these days when the price is so high and for a very small difference one can buy new.

I used to take pride in snagging good deals on stuff and recall an '88 Toyota pickup I bought for about 5 grand back in '90. It had about 30,000 miles on it and I ran it for about 10 years with no headaches. I got rid of it in '00 and it had 200+K miles on it. Deals like that are not around much anymore.




To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html

No comments:

Post a Comment