Saturday, February 27, 2016

Someone once asked me

 where I went to school and I replied "Hawsepipe University". For those of you that don't know, a hawsepiper is a guy that became a ship's officer without going through an academy. They studied and learned on their own.

He was a young guy fresh out of college in a somewhat competitive but not totally flooded field. He'd probably find a decent wayof supporting himself and I figure he's not headed off to join the Free $hit Army and let the rest of us support him.

He asked me about Hawsepipe University and I explained what it was. Then I pointed out tht my entry level license cost me 720 sea-days of learning in an enviornment far less forgiving than any college classroom. 

People die out here.

I explained that my 'sheepskin' was issued by the Coast Guard and said "To: United States Merchant Marine Officer" on it. It was my ticket to employment. Unlike someone else's degree in woman's studies, puppetry or basket weaving.

I also pointed out that I was and am still in graduate school and would be for as long as I work on the water.

"So you did pretty good with a high school diploma?" he asked. "It sounds like an apprenticeship program of sorts."

"I suppose you're right," I said. 

Anyway, this kid I think is going to do OK in the long run. For one thing he has a pretty good work ethic and told me his student loans were pretty low. He's paying them off working construction and wants them out of the way as quickly as possible.

I hope he makes out OK. He seems pretty motivated. He's also willing to add a couple of courses come spring to increase his marketability.

Of course, his graduating class contains any number of snivelers that graduated with uselsss degrees and will blame the rich for their foolishness. Truth is, I don't give a damn. If they were stupid enough to borrow a couple of hundred grand for a degree in woman's studies or gay pride history then I know why God put them here.

I used to be disgusted with people like that until I realized why God put them here. He put them here to give me something to laugh at.

He also put this young man in front of me to remind me that not all of his creatures are idiots.



To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment