Sunday, October 8, 2017

I 'buy' a lot of cheap insurance.

A while ago at work I saw a dockman wrenching on the flange bolts that connect the cargo hose to the dock and asked him if it was leaking. He said he was simply checking to see if all the bolts were tight as an effort to make damned good and sure it didn't leak.

I call that cheap insurance and am quite a fan of it.

When we go from 'push gear' to the towing bridle on our way up the coast I turn on the hydraulics even though I know I won't need them. The job on the bow making tow is fairly simple. I get handed a line and affix it to the pennant and let the whole thing go as the tug hauls it onto their back deck. It's really quite simple.

Yet I turn on the hydraulics in case something goes wrong an I have to haul the pennant back aboard for whatever reason.

There are a lot of little things like this I do inside and outside of work that take little time and effort but make things easier in the event that things go to hell in a hand basket.

I call things like this cheap insurance.




To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment