Thursday, January 31, 2019

Sometimes hunting your past is a bad idea.

or at least not a good one.

It's one thing to look up an old classmate and tell them there's a reunion coming up and another thing to look up someone you had a relationship with 35 years ago. The former is a pretty safe thing to do, but the latter can really cause bad feelings.

This electronic age makes tracking someone down fairly easy and I had an urge to see what happened to an old girl friend from about 35 years ago.

I got about few minutes into the project and decided that it was not going to be a very good idea because there was a possibility that it would not end very well. 

I did dig and figured out that both of these women have since married. I wasn't that surprised to find out that one had but I was to find out that the other had remarried simply because she told me she was receiving a widow's pension. Her husband had been killed in action in Vietnam. She swore that the government owed her and she was not going to let that pension go. The pension was supposed to last until such time as she was remarried.

She must have truly met someone special to let that pension go.

Anyway I located the two of them but have decided not to make contact with them. I realize I came into their lives at odd times and that both of them have probably changed.

One thing they both share is I left them for Alaska. They had both been warned each time I headed north.

One of them saw me off when I left Colorado to go north for the first time. I have not seen her since.

I left Kodiak in late fall for a winter deciding to have a mild winter in the Seattle area when I met the other woman. Right off the bat I told the second woman I was headed back to Alaska come spring. I told her that some day she'd find my sleeping bag and pack missing and I'd be gone.

Sure enough she later came home to my pack missing and I was gone. I did stay in contact with her for a while and visited her once when I was passing through but we lost touch shortly afterwards.

No. My gut tells me to leave well enough alone and let sleeping dogs lie.

I do wish both of them well though.

















To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment