Wednesday, February 12, 2020

A friend of mine asked me for help building a rifle

And of course you know I can't refuse that one.

What he wants is a beater rifle or what is also commonly called a truck or trunk gun. This is an inexpensive but reliable rifle that the owner can afford to have get beat up, broken or even lost. If it gets little rusty or scratched up it is no big deal.

He settled for a simple kit gun he bought on line rather inexpensively. It contains all the parts necessary to build a simple rifle except for the lower receiver which is a serial numbered item and has to come from a licensed dealer. He already has the lower that was part of a project that never came to fruition.

Actually the kit comes with everything except a lower receiver,  rear sight, magazine and a sling.

Anyway I am in the process of trying to scrape up a couple of magazines, a rear sight and a sling right now to help him out.

It's been some time since I built a firearm from parts before. Over the years I have built a couple of 1911 pistols,  an M-14 I built from a barreled receiver, a couple of Garands from barreled receivers and served as moral support for a couple of AR builds. Still, it's been quite a while.

With the likelihood of various bans looming in the future it is probably a good idea to snag a couple of ARs to put aside because I do see a bad period coming up on the horizon.  

That's what I would do if I were a few years younger.







To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment