Saturday, February 29, 2020

One of the bills Trump signed is the right to try law.

It's well past time it was enacted.

It used to be that the only people that got to try experimental medicine on a life threatening disease had to leave the country.

The case that comes to mind first was Steve McQueen. He went to Mexico to try Laetrile which was supposed to be an experimental cancer drug. His cancer was said to be incurable. It was. The Mexican Laetrile didn't work. He died anyway but much to his credit, he tried. As a result we learned one more thing that didn't cure his cancer.

The fact that he died anyway is immaterial. we all die. McQueen had to leave the country to try his experimental cure. I suppose if I were in his shoes with a disease like the incurable cancer he had I would have tried it, too. What did he have to lose? He could have only gained.

I also saw a few people try to get cured of fatal diseases and of the several that tried the non-western medical cures, one of them survived. It was several years ago and I don't recall all the details but the woman followed the Chinese doctor's instructions to a T.

Maybe it was $hit house luck. Who knows. Still, she took a different route and beat something that was incurable at the time.

The point of all this is that now with the right to try law we now don't have to leave the country to use something unapproved.

Of course I am an Old School Libertarian and as far as I am concerned if you want to try and cure leprosy with moonshine then have at it. It's your life and you have every right to try what ever medication you want. For that matter for what ever reason you want (including recreation) but that is just me.

I have never been able to figure out how the government managed to grab the authority to tell us how we have to and what we have to use to cure our afflictions. I figure it's our own choice.

Of course I know very little about the medications available and prefer to consult a doctor but that's me.

I do know an old Marine that told me his corpsman used to quietly schlep him about 4 ounces of bourbon after a fire fight to settle him down when he had the after action shakes. I asked him if he suffered nightmares and he said it was a very rare occurrence.

PTSD is a strange thing. There is no telling who will suffer from it and who won't. The jury is still out on that one. Still, I suppose it didn't hurt.

The bottom line is that we got a choice returned to us that never should have been taken away from us to begin with.







To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment