Tuesday, August 24, 2021

If Ya don't have it ya can't break it.

The other day I heard someone griping about having to get a power window fixed. When they asked me about it I replied I don't even have power windows. Both my vehicles are roll-ups.

I always wonder why people are so lazy that they can't turn a crank a couple of times to lower a window. Is it that difficult?

Actually power windows are slower. I think the reason people like them is that they are bright, shiny things so to speak. People tend to like bright shiny things that spin.

For decades I avoided A/C in a car but finally got it forced on me in '09. I didn't want it because it was just another thing to go wrong and break on me. I like things simple and the breeze of an open window is good enough for me. I figure that for two or three days a year of minor discomfort isn't too much to pay for the joy of simplicity.

Needless to say the A/C pump went out and I had to replace. That was the better part of a grand. I had it. It broke and it cost me a bundle to fix it. I don't know which is worse, the money or the aggravation.

One thing I have never had to get fixed is an automatic transmission because I have never had one. I have replaced clutches before but damned seldom and it's no big deal. By definition they are wearing parts to begin with.

It's kind of odd but if I were to win a big money lottery there would be two things I would do. I would find one of those California car shops and have the Miata, a '91, rebuilt to new condion.

The next big thing I would do is to have them recreate my '62 Dodge half-ton with a manual choke, a 4 speed manual transmission, no radio and holes in the floorboards to drop beer cans out of. This would be my daily driver.

The ONLY thing I would modernize on the Dodge would be electronic ignition so I don't have to screw with points.

Simplicity works for me.




 



To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment