Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Maybe a little over a month ago I was in the pits pulling targets for someone.


Whoever it was hammered and their first string was a 7X clean. Yup, 100 points and 7 Xs. Incredible!

Whoever it was made it pretty easy for my partner and I to keep score and work the pits. Every single shot was in the black so we didn't have to fiddle around with any white pasters. All black.

When we went up to the line we wanted to see who had been doing the shooting and lo and behold, it was a skinny 16 year old girl.

At Perry the number of young teenage girls on the state junior teams has been growing and they seem to be doing rather well.

Later at a bull session the subject came up and we generally agreed it is because women enter that the sport generally bring no bad habits with them, accept coaching and criticism and pay attention better than their male counterparts. While that is fine and dandy, the big thing is they are not fighting testosterone.

I'm all for it!

It's a true joy watching people of any age shoot but watching young people shoot is better yet because it shows that things will be passed on. When I see young women shoot it makes me smile because it's a lead pipe cinch they won't grow up to become Karens.

I was chatting with a coach and a couple of his team shooters and looked over at the young teenaged girl in the group and asked her, "What's a nice girl like you doing in a place like this?"

She gave me a confident smile and replied, "Winning."

Best answer I got from anyone all day long. Her parents ought to be damned proud of her!


If nothing else I am a champion for the young people that are doing it right. 

A number of years ago I met a shooter that was worried about his son because he opted for an electrical apprenticeship instead of college. I told him to wait about 10 or 15 years and told him he'd likely become an entrepreneur.

I saw him again and was glad to hear his son had gotten a journeyman's license followed by a master electrician's license and had struck out on his own and was doing quite well.












To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment