Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Kudus to some Japanese senior citizens

A bunch of older Japanese have volunteered to clean up the nuclear mess.

I just heard that over in Japan where they have a pretty good nuclear mess to clean up that a bunch of retired guys have volenteered to take charge of cleaning up the nuclear mess.

Interesting.

These are not just a bunch of old guys as such, but a group of pretty educated engineer types that have retired but still know what they are doing.

The reasoning is pretty interesting. One of them said that although he still felt he had a few pretty good years left, he figured he'd be dead and gone before the cancer caught up with him.

I kept my eyes open after the disaister there took place and watched in awe the self discipline the average Japanese has displayed during the period right after the disaister and I really have to say I have a lot of respect for those people.

Unlike the mess that took place in this country after Katrina, the Japanese took their lumps with a quiet dignity that leaves me in awe. There were no widespread outbreaks of looting even though a few people tried to use the rare exception to prove otherwise.

I heard a story about how a convenience store got power back briefly and people came in in droves, which is certainly to be expected. However, when the place lost power again, the Japanese simply put the stuff back on the shelves and left quietly. I think it was because they couldn't get the register open or something simple along those lines.

I know that if I were there running the store I would have busted the damned register open and taken a calculator off of the shelf and simply added the persons purchases up and made change as best I could because of two reasons. First, the people really needed the stuff and of course, as an American the rule is 'anything to make a buck'. The paperwork and figuring out the take could just wait as far as I'm concerned.

Still, the Japanese did what they did and seem to have persevered well.

Now this.

These older retired guys are willing to charge in there knowing that they are probably going to wind up with some form of radiation poisoning and they are doing it for the good of the younger generation behind them.

I think that's pretty neat and worth mentioning in this blog.

Kudos to those retired Japanese guys for their fortitude. God bless them!

In a way it reminds me of the Eastwood/Jones/Garner movie that came out a few years ago called 'Space Cowboys',, where the older guys have to go into space and disarm some nukes.




my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment