Monday, June 4, 2012

Well, this trip is running into overtime and is drawing to an end.

I am going to have a cat to come home to and hopefully there will be a six-pack of beer to go along with the carry-out pizza I will likely snag on the way home so I can have a dinner and breakfast when I arrive. I'll have cold pizza for breakfast on my first day home, which I consider a treat.

It isn't so much the night when I arrive home as it is the first morning back. My body has to go through a few changes and get used to things ashore again and it generally runs about 36 hours until everything gets back to shoreside normal. I'm not along.

Several shipmates report the same thing. If they get home on a Tuesday they usually chill out on Wednasday and are good to go by Thursday.

I don't have any problems getting used to life at sea, though.

A post or two ago I mentioned wondering if I was going to eat the spaghetti hot or cold. I ate it cold and it was delicious that way. I suppose it would have been good hot but I was in the mood for cold spaghetti.

I think I am going to have to snag another case of those quarter pints of Jim Beam that I keep around the house as little bribes and treats. I think I am running low on them and I'd just bet when I get home I'll find my lawn mowed so I have to make sure I restock the cabinet under the porch. There's still enough gin there so when the other neighbor mows my lawn he has a treat.

We're having 5 trees felled and cut up by a local pro the day I am slated to arrive home. All of them are Norwegian spruce and are too damned tall for safety. Conifers do not have a very good root structure and the winds just knock them down. The trees which provided privacy and shade have become a dangerous liability and a storm knocking them down could really damage a house.

It is better to get someone that knows what they are doing on a job like that then to try it yourself and either destroy a house or get hurt. While I am still most likely spry enough to do the job it would take me days or even weeks to get them down and chipped up and a pro can get in and out of there in a day and take all the wood with him.

There's really no easy way to get rid of pine or spruce bolts as they produce too much creosote when burned and cause chimney fires. I suppose a handful of people can use it at camps or something but I'd bet they'd turn getting rid of it into a chore because while they want the wood they do not really need it so they would not be in too big of a hurry to haul it off.

Besides, my chipper/shredder is getting tired and there's no use killing it on a major project like these trees. I can't see getting a new one at this stage. I hope that I get home in time to pay the man as I hate chasing down people either to collect or pay money. Oddly enough, I hate collecting it more than I hate paying it. Probably because paying is easier than collecting. I have never had anyone gripe about receiving money yet. Sometimes collecting it is like pulling teeth.

Anyway, that's all for now as I am going on watch soon.


Pic, out.


my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment