Monday, March 21, 2016

I have a tree in the wayback I'm going to lose

It is like the leaning tower of Pisa only a little worse. It is about 20 degrees or more out of plumb. One good gust of wind from the west and it's down.

When I looked at it carefully I decided that it wasn't probably a safe candidate for the usual chain saw route. It looks kind of diseased at the base.

Many years ago I wasn't paying attention and cut one down that was diseased at the base. When I got the saw into the base a bit the entire base exploded and instead of falling where I wanted it to it fell where IT wanted to. I was lucky not to be injured.

While I'm still fairly agile I am not as quick as I used to be.

I can also see that nice Mister Ground Hog and friends have dug tunnels through the root structure. I wish I could get a little Old School dynamite or something and destroy the root structure and hasten its fall.

On the other hand, I suppose if I did that there would be a big stink. I'd get yet another visit from guys with blue suits, badges and guns. Years ago I could likely get away with something like this but the climate has worsened and if I did there would be penalty markers thrown.

What I did to insure this one will fall where I want it to is I ran a line from well up the trunk to a Come-Along tied to the base of another tree. The tree is going to fall safely anyway and this is a little more encouragement.

Anyway that's what today brings although I may be able to take another bite on the Come-Along line and lean the tree over more today because at about 1600 local we're slated for about a 17 knot wind. As the tree sways I'll take up the slack created.

Patience is required for this one but I think I can get this one down to the ground safely.




To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment