Monday, February 13, 2017

Ahh, yes. Coast Guard physical time.

Which is par golf.

I have said they make things harder and harder every year.

One item on the Coast Guard physical form is colorblindness. One has to be tested for it. 

It makes sense to do this for the initial physical because an AB or licensee has to be able to know what color navigation lights are.

However, you don't 'get' colorblindness. You are either colorblind or you are not. It is not something you get from drinking rotgut liquor.

If I recall I had someone arrange to send the clinic I use a set of chromatic plates of some sort for this test because most clinics don't have them. I think I paid $10 for it on eBay.

I know another guy who had a family doctor with no proper way to test for colorblindness. The man went found an old Williams Lantern rig at an antique store and gave it to his family doctor.

The doctor set it up in the waiting room as a display and when someone came in for a Coast Guard physical he's fire the old rig up right there in the waiting room. 

Why the Coast Guard persists on colorblindness tests is beyond me. 



To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment