Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Right after 9-11 there was a minor hue and cry in the maritime industry

for boats to be issued small arms.

It didn't last very long and even though I was in the middle of my competitive shooting career I spoke out against it to the guys.

For one thing there are a few of us out here with felony records which would either mean they lose their jobs are not permitted access to the arms locker.

Still, the big thing I said is that if you are issuing ANYTHING there has to be a standard of training. The usual "I been shootin' since I was a kid!" doesn't mean a whole lot. There is no standard to "I been shootin' since I was a kid" training charts. You have to have training before you get turned loose with certain tools, including firearms. No room for "Yeah, but..." here. You have to have training.

Of course, little came of it and as is to be expected, shipowners were somewhat loathe to arm their crews for liability reasons if nothing else. I can't say as I blame them. 











To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment