Sunday, April 24, 2022

Woke up this morning

planning on shooting a service rifle match but at the last minute decided to try something else. I grabbed a .22 instead of my match rifle.
A .22 is generally considered a 50-100 yard rifle and the match was at 200 yards.
It's been a while since I have shot an organized real match and it was like Old Home Week when I showed up. I was in what is generally semi-serious competition.
Instead of all of the shooting jacket, spotting scope and all the crap I used to carry I showed up with a .22, a mat to lay down on and a box of ammunition. I drew a lot of dubious looks and when I uncased the .22 a lot of eyes rolled and I got big grins and the usual ball busting.
There were hoots and whistles when I unrolled my sexy leopardskin shooting mat my niece made for me over 20 years ago. (Thank you, Niece! 20+ years later I still get teased about it)
Still, all things considered, I did OK. I shot a 362 out of a 500 possible. I'm normally a 430ish shooter with a service rifle.
The best line of the day was when someone was grousing about something or another and the Range Officer replied, "Yeah? Well Black just got ALL of his rounds in BOTH rapid fires into the scoring rings!"
I have just decided I am going to tune the 10/22 up a bit and wring it out and see just what I can do with it.
I spoke with a retired Gunny about this a few minutes ago and we recalled the day at Quantico when we were talking to Jim (Edward James) Land (Interesting man. Google him)and he said the best way to learn about windage is with a .22 at 200 yards.

77777777777777777777777777777777

What I plan for now.

Use standard velocity ammo and find out which brand it likes. Some people have reported to me that 10/22 can be finicky about ammo. High velocity goes through the trans sonic twice at 200 yards. Standard velocity exits the muzzle just under the speed of sound. The reason for high velocity .22LR ammo is for small game huning. It hits harder. Speed of sound is about 1100 feet per second. Standard velocity leaves the muzzle at about 1040 fps.

Next. Get a GOOD 200 yard zero!! While the Tech sight I use is adjustable it really isn't too field adjustable. I had to find a point of aim on the white of the paper and guesstimate. I would have done better with a good zero.

Next. Change my sight picture. I have been using a 6 O'clock hold for years. Time to change to Point of aim/Point of impact hold (POA/POI)

Then we'll see what happens.






To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment