Monday, May 8, 2023

New and improved my ass.

Screw code. Screw energy saving. Screw green. Screw the National Safety Council and screw everyone that subscribes to it, the horse they rode in on and anybody that looks like them.

I knew it and this is my own fault. I listened to someone else and now my new and improved shower valve gives me water to the showerhead the same temperature as urine.

Now I can have my shower piss down my back and tell me it's raining. I CAN'T GET A HOT SHOWER!!!

The water hits the valve at almost 130 yet the 'We're trying to make you safe'' mechanism mixes it with too damned much cold water so I won't get scalded.

Gee! What if someone turns the cold water on while you're taking a shower?

The old valve used to give me a head's up and I could turn it down on the damned few times that happened to me. It's called paying attention.

I have managed to deal with GFCI outlets, though. I guess they work OK once I get rid of a couple of old extension cords that had the third prong broken off. For a while they kept popping. 

Pull the trigger on the Skilsaw? Poink! 

Back when they first came out every construction supervisor would carry about a dozen duplex outlets, a screwdriver and a pair of pliers. As soon as the electrical inspector left he'd yank the GFCI plugs and replace them so the subs could get some work done instead of running back and forth to reset the damned things. I''ll admit they've gotten better.

Still, as far as installing a shower valve goes, it's just one more of those nanny state things that makes life just a little more miserable.

All I ask for is a toilet that can flush a man sized dump down in a single flush. (I got that after a couple of basic field modifications that I won't get into here.) and a decent hot shower that I'll get by hook or crook.

Maybe crank up the hot water heater a few degrees. Ring it up to, say, 200, leaving a 12 degree safety margin to keep the bastard from boiling.

(Gee, Piccolo! What's that bubbling sound coming from over there? Time to drop the hot water tank down a couple of degrees.)

Actually I didn't replace the shower head because the old one was pretty damned good. My wife brought it home and told me it was a water saver. I tried it once, removed it and replaced it and it worked damned well. It still works well. (After I removed that little washer that restricted the flow.)

Between toilets, shower valves and now unavailable 100 watt incadescent light bulbs (The latter actually used as small heaters in the winter for the spot where the water enters the house) I could get myself a nice seafaring job on Lake Erie smuggling these goodies in from Canada.

Five gallons per flush toilets, non approved shower valves and 100 watt incadescent light bulbs smuggled in on a 32 foot sailboat and I'd be in Fat City!

Job opportunity! 






To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

2 comments:

  1. I've already got a 5 gallon per flush toilet, because I've got to flush the damn thing 20 times to get it to completely empty. I'll sign up for a basic working toilet as soon as you get a shipment in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pic, let us know when you open your shop. All this Aunt Sam BS is driving us nuts. The nanny state is for commie wannabes.

    ReplyDelete