Friday, December 1, 2023

A day of slowly moving stuff


Because I don't have any help.

I have a refrigerator, a stove and a cabinet to move so I can re vinyl the kitchen floor which out to look pretty good when I'm done.

Yesterday wasn't a good day because when I yanked the dishwasher I broke a plastic part on the hinge so that's shot. It's 30 years old and the plastic has gotten brittle so it came as no surprise to me. Still, having to explain that something that's that old doesn't owe us anything and that old plastic often turns brittle.

The other thing is taking something apart that you put together 30 years ago. Protip: If you have to use any appreciable amount of force there's probably a screw or nail you missed.  I just tried to move a cabinet and after I unscrewed it it didn't want to move easily. So I looked again and sure enough, there was a screw I missed. I pulled it and the whole thing practically fell apart.

Another protip.

When these cabinets were installed 30 years ago the house was well over 45 years old and had settled. Some shimming was involved so I took all four of the shims out, corner by corner and numbered them and numbered the corners they had been under. I'll reuse the same shims because they fit perfectly. In fact I just may take a 16 gauge 2" finish nail and tack them to the bottom of the cabinet and just drop it in place. I keep forgetting that when I installed these 30 years ago I only had a hammer to work with.

The stove was fairly easy. Gas stoves are fairly light, considering.

I got the refrigerator moved and now everything is ready for me to throw down the floor after I give it a GOOD cleaning.












To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment