Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I get tired of over reaction

One of the things I notice is a sense of overreaction to things.

I have a friend that smokes an occasional cigarette, generally when he has a rare drink.

He probably smokes less than a pack a year, which really isn't anything that is damaging. I once read that one cigarette a DAY wasn't very harmful at all.

Yet this poor guy has to listen to everyone and their cousin start warning him about the health risks every time he lights up. The lectures he gets go on and on and on.
His wife has told his doctor 'He's still smoking' and every time he goes to get a physical, he gets another ear beating. He also gets one from his pastor...or used to until he stopped going to church for a couple of months.

When the pastor asked him why, he simply explained that he was tired of getting treated like a little kid. The pastor promised to shut up and chalk one up to the devil, which is rare in a pastor.

Of course, he doesn't smoke on his back porch any more because he would lose his sanity listening to all the crap he gets over his non-vice.

What does he do?

Simple. He pays me a visit and we sit together on MY back porch and he enjoys his cigarette and cocktail.

I don't blame him. I'd run and hide, too if I had to listen to all the crap he gets.

It's the same with a lot of other things.

I once listened to a vegan tell me that the meat I was looking at in the meat counter was diseased.

Now, that was an out and out lie.

If you have to lie to be right, you are generally wrong.

Anyway, I told the vegan that the meat waas worse than diseased.

"How's that," he asked. He was looking for more reason not to eat it.

'Every one of the animals that supplied that meat is now dead," I proclaimed solomnly.

And with that, I snagged a pretty good looking steak.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my other blog is:

http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment