Sunday, May 16, 2010

I am planning on roofing the house soon

but I really do not want to deal with a contractor unless I am there.

Contractors, as a general rule, and especially roofers are hit and run men. They just want to get done and get paid, which is understandable.

The problems come when they do a job the way they want to do a job and not the way the customer wants it done. Generally people will let them get away with things. I won't.

The last contractor that worked here likes me. He did what I asked him, and did it well, on time and didn't cut any corners. The one before that cut a couple of corners and as a result, when I told him to undo the work and do it right, he balked. He didn't get his final payment and that's just too damned bad.

On the roof, I want the bottom three courses to be ice guard, and I just know that Joe Roofer will probably forget and he will use tarpaper and the next winter there are ice dams I will be screwed. mThere will be more ceiling damage to fix.

He'll probably lay the valley flashing flat instead of putting a backfold on the edges, too. I will discover that when he's well into the job and I will demend that he tear it out and redo it right. A fight will result, only it will be a one sided fight, as the Golden Rule applies. "He who has the gold makes the rules."

I am not a hard ass by nature, I try to make things easy, but I am not a sucker, either. I know what I want and I am willing to pay for it. I will cheerfully pay extra for quality, but you had damned well better produce it.

No, it looks like when I reroof, I am going to have to personally supervise the entire job if I want it done right.





my other blog is:http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment