Thursday, March 10, 2011

Biscuits and gravy at 0400 was a pretty good choice

as I did not get home until 2100, which made for a long day.

The ride home was somewhat eventful as I got a call from a reader that wanted to meet up for a quick cup of joe or a drink.

I changed course for his area where we planned on meeting at a road house of some sort. I got off of the interstate and onto US 30 and after a few miles in the mountains the weather went straight down the tubes.

I was climbing a hill and there was something stuck on it so I reversed my course, called and cancelled as it is not worth tearing up a truck and getting hurt over. After all, rescheduling is fairly simple.

The detour added at least an hout when it was all over and done with, but that's OK. It wasn't long ago that I would crash through the boonies and fight weather like it was some kind of personal challenge to get where I was going.

Not so much these days as I have learned that sometimes it simply is not worth it to risk a major accident over something that can be rescheduled.

Besides if I had met the person, I would have had a very limited amount of time to spend. Maybe when I do meet up with him I will not be under the gun and will be able to relax and enjoy his company instead of clock watching.

Anyway, I am home and right now I have a sick cat to deal with.

This is not good, as the little guy is definitly on the way out.

It is already sad to watch because although he has not stopped being a cat and making a pain in the ass of himself, which is what cats do, I can see that he is not his usual self.

I will not get into his medical problems here.

What would be nice would be to watch him go to sleep and simply not wake up, but that isn't going to happen. This guy is one tough cat and had quite a history when he adopted us. He is quite a survivor and therefore will go out horribly unless someone intervenes and give him a merciful out.

That will be my unpleasant duty to take him to the vets for the final trip and to give him a decent burial.

I hope I will know when it is time and not prolong any suffering.

On a good note, the replacement for Combat Laptop #1 has arrived and looks pretty good. I'm charging the battery now and in about 8 hours I will get it on line.

Historically I have had quite a problem with things like getting a battery charged properly. These batteries have a memory and are supposed to be charged for several UNINTERRUPTED hours.

Needless to say, I could lock something in a safe and plug it in and someone will come along and say "Gee. I have to move this!" and they will unplug it and as is my often ranted about situation, I get sent straight back to Square One.

It happened one time aboard my boat when I bought a replacement cell phone.

I made it clear that I wanted the damned thing plugged in for the required time in an UNINTERRUPTED state, plugged it in and left, only to find it moved.

I quietly slipped out and bought another one and came back and gathereing everyone I unplugged the one that had been moved and threw the entire thing into the trash and plugged the new one in to charge.

"What part of the word uninterrupted do you people not understand?" I asked.

Ugliness followed.

Anyway, I have the new laptop in the attic charging and we'll see what happens. If it gets a full charging without someone screwing with it I will go out and buy a lottery ticket as it meaans I am having exceptional luck.

As I write this post the cat has not hopped up on my lap and that is not a good thing.

I might add to this post later.

my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment