Wednesday, March 30, 2011

One shoe in the breakdown lane.

I have to drive the Pennsylvania Turnpike from Pittsburgh to Philly and back in the course of getting to and from work. It's a long haul and over the years I pay attention to the things I see in the breakdown lane.

This is not a new habit, as I have really done this for years. It's actually a good thing in a way because it tends to keep me alert and my mind occupied. Every so often I see something worth pulling over for and checking out and over the years I've scored a few things that have made stopping worthwhile. I have a pretty good gas can I found on the side of the road and a good socket set that must have fallen off of a wrecker.

There is one thing, though that has kept me wondering through all of these years and I generally see it every trip, either going to work of coming home and that is one shoe in the breakdown lane.

Of course, shoes are generally sold in pair as I have yet to see a shoe store that caters to one-legged people. Even people with a prosthetic leg buy two shoes as the prosthetic leg has a foot at the bottom and it is designed to be shod.

When I see one shoe in the breakdown, I generally get pretty alert because I instantly start searching for the other shoe.

I have mentioned this over the years to any number of people and most of them smile and admit that they, too, start looking for the other shoe. A few of them don't, but there are quite a number of people that know exactly what I am talking about over this dopey one shoe business. This is just second nature to a person with a curious nature.

Anyway, on the way to work the other day I was booting along and there it was, one shoe in the breakdown lane.

But this time was different because about ten yards away in the same breakdown lane, there was the other shoe.

I pulled right over and lo and behold, they matched!

After fifty years of wondering about one shoe in the breakdown lane, there was the other one!





my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment