Saturday, March 12, 2011

Combat laptop #3 is up and running.

I snagged a GoBook III on eBay for a good price with a new install of XP Pro which works well in those older notebooks.

The thing looked brand new which is a rarity for a surplus notebook. My guess is that it was either a supply room spare or was issued to someone that didn’t use it.

It seems to be a pretty good deal all things considered except that the battery was DOA. Not to worry, I used the battery out of now in pieces Combat Laptop 1 so I am now good to go.

These old GoBooks are physically tough and can take a pretty good pounding. Combat laptop #1 bit the dust because of the Achilles’ heel of all laptops; where the power supply plugs in.

It was explained to me that almost every laptop has the power receptacle soldered directly onto the motherboard and when that goes, it costs more than a used laptop is worth to repair it.

I guess that when the laptop took a spill with the power adapter plugged in that it broke the connection and that was that.

It would work on battery power only so I had to replace it.

Anyway, now I have a pair of operable machines. I can park one on the boat and keep one here and that means there is one less thing I have to lug back and forth.

Life just got a little easier.



my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment