Thursday, March 3, 2011

My mother used to quote Dante every so often.

My mother used to quote Dante every so often.

The one I heard most of all was “The road to hell is paved with good intentions.”

There are a lot of well intentioned people out there and although they mean well, they sometimes make you wonder. My favorites are the ones that try and give you EXACTLY what you do not want.

As I have posted recently the combat laptop is no longer and if I can snag one cheaply enough I will. I have a few leads and we’ll see what happens next.

I was snooping around and someone asked me what I was looking for and what I did. I told him I wanted a simple GoBook III, 40 HD, 1 gig RAM, WiFi, XP Pro and that’s it.

He asked me if I was going to navigate with it and I told him I was not. It was strictly reserved for writing and writing only, and that I specifically did not want to use it for GPS navigation. Period.

A couple of hours later he got back to me and told me about a guy that sold them with complete navigation packages on them complete with GPS and Windows Office and God only knows what else.

Full delivered price: Way too much money for what I want.

I specifically made it crystal clear that I wanted the unit for the simple purpose of writing and basic internet and nothing else, yet nobody these days seems to listen.

They generally deliver exactly what a guy does NOT want, and it is generally EXACTLY what a guy doesn’t want.

I am not going to turn this post into a rant the length of ‘War and Peace’ so I will not get started in on what is like to find a new car, but when a car salesman tries to sell you what you don’t want it is generally an effort by him to stick his greasy little paw into your pocket and you can chew his ass for it.

Although a car salesman is vermin anyway and gets what he deserves it isn’t right to do that to a guy that is simply trying to do you an honest favor.

I will most certainly give the guy that tried to find me a GoBook III a little credit. He was trying to help me and honestly so. There was probably nothing in it for him but knowing he did a good deed. I can’t blister him for trying, but I just wish that people would listen to what a person is looking for.

Of course, it may very well be that he didn’t understand the concept of ‘simple’. Too many people don’t comprehend that these days. Oftentimes you ask for a simple wedge to split a single small log and they show up with a hydraulic log splitter and by the time the damned thing is started up and running you could have split twenty small logs with a wedge and been opening your second beer.

Then again, maybe it is me. I am always looking for simple things in a complex world.



my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment