Monday, March 21, 2011

A day of young people in an old people neighborhood

Neighbor Bob showed up looking for a beer as he could probably use one.

His wife goes in for surgery tomorrow.

Instead of the usual out back we opted for a sit in the garage and watch the passers-by. It was a pretty good show.

First there was a couple walking their dog, an 8 month old shepherd type that they told me was a half police, half border patrol animal. He was a pretty good dog. Sharp as a tack and I guess they are thinking of seriously training him.

It's good to see a young couple doing something interesting like that.

The next thing we saw was a father/son going for a bike ride.

Dear old dad was teaching the boy how to break down the hill into a series of diagonal sweeps. The kid couldn't handle the hill outside my house, but could if he went back and forth, which was fine. In time he will develop the strength which I am losing as time goes on.

Anyway, the kid took a turn a bit too sharp and fell.

Tears.

I looked out and said loudly "Get back on that horse!"

The father looked at me with an irritated look.

The kid sat there and cried a bit and after a while walked the bike a few feet and got right back on.

I clapped my hands loudly. I think the kid heard, I sure hope he did.

It's good being an old guy seeing spirited young people because it gives me hope that maybe there will be a few stout hearted young people to take over when I am gone.


my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment