Friday, September 23, 2011

gotta learn a new operating system

I now have to learn Windows 7 and to tell the truth I think the best operating system that I have had to deal with is XP. Before that it was Windows 95 which worked like a charm.

Windows 7 seems to use a lot more of the computers speed to run and I suppose that would be a good deal if we were talking about the newest and latest computer but we are not.

We are not talking about some old boat anchor, either. The machine that recently got Windows 7 is fairly new but probably isn’t the newest and fastest thing out there. It is my work computer and not the beat up combat laptop of mine that does nicely on XP.

The whole computer business in a way is pretty much of a scam with the way technology is marketed and people sure bite for it.

Now, I can see a business or maybe a scientific type of outfit chasing technology to stay ahead of the game. Anybody doing 3D work or other graphics can sure benefit by keeping up with the technology but for the average guy keeping up with it is pretty much a waste.

While downloading things had benefited me, there really aren’t a whole lot of things I do on Windows 7 now that I couldn’t do on XP, or if the truth be known, even on Windows 95.

Of course, a lot of people will say that there are security issues etc. on Windows 95 and they are right.

The point is that I don’t do anything more on a computer now that I did a decade ago. Most of what I do on a computer is simply write, do email and surf the web.

Oh, I do sometimes have the need to either watch a DVD or play a CD but that’s about it.

All in all I really don’t need a fast machine to do things.

I was thinking of getting another laptop to be able to use with my ham rig to send PSK 31 on but I found out that all I need for that is an obsolete machine of maybe Pentium One, and I have one in the closet that is a lot faster than that so I guess I am good to go.

I’d have to say that the computer people have really created the need for faster machines by using the old trick of making people feel left out if they don’t have the latest technology.

Detroit has been doing the same thing with cars for over a century. While progress certainly had come a long way with automobiles, the differences have really not been all that major over the past umpteen yeas if you look at a vehicle as simple transportation.

Most of the improvements over the years have been little more than perceptions of improvement to most of us. Although I will admit that the introduction of air bags have improved the chances of survival in an accident, I’d have to say that most of the improvements have been smoke and mirrors.

I would not feel bad about driving around today in the ’88 Toyota I had years ago if I hadn’t plainly and simply worn it out. The old work horse does just what the ’09 I drive today does.

It hauls me and a seabag to work and snags an occasional sheet of plywood or a couple of boards from Homeless Depot. The old ’88 did that and just as well.

Of course, there will be a lot of people that insist they need the latest technology and maybe a few of them do, but I’d bet that most of the people that do say they need it are just kidding themselves.





my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Do you read this?
    gcaptain.com
    I was just wondering as it is a pretty good maritime site.
    Another good one is boatnerd.com is if you do any great lakes sailing.

    ReplyDelete