Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Ready for a day of gearing down and winding up through the mountains

depending on what the weather looks like today.

I have to go back to work and figured out how to load all of my stuff into the Miata and I could use a day in the crisp air, booming and zooming through the mountains.

Still, though, it looks a little rough out so I may just have to put my stuff into the pickup and go with that. We'll see in a couple of hours.

Getting ready to go back to work is generally a morning of preperations and running through a check list to make sure everything is OK and I do not leave the Mrs with any headaches to deal with.

While most of the generalized packing was done a couple of days after I got back, any refrigerated/frozen grub has to be packed up. One of the trucks is to freeze a couple half-gallons of milk to be used as ice.

Milk freezes well and if you have enough patience NOT to get into it until it is completely thawed, a good shaking is all that is needed to get it back into halfway decent shape.

Year of doing this have turned it into a science, yet there is always another trick to learn.

Anyway, I'm going to see what the weather brings in a couple of hours before I decide what to do.
----------------------------------
The buzz through the neighborhood these days is the new trash service the city has just started. The contract was won by someone and the inside story is that it was won by a lousy fifty cents a year per house or something.

We just got ISSUED trash cans and recycling bins and what seems to be a pretty stiff set of rules that will probably result in a lot of pretty angry people, as the guys we have now are pretty good and overlook quite a few small things.

From the buzz this new outfit will take away only the most basic of stuff as it is in the contract they have with the city. Anything else you have to put out on the curb and call them and of course, out comes 'The Goouger's Handbook' and the hole in your wallet just got an awful lot bigger.

Every time government comes up with a scheme to save the taxpayers a few cents it always works out perfectly on paper. My trash removal will cost me about a half a buck a year less...unless I decide that I want to put the dinky little end table with the broken leg out. Then it's BOHICA time, as the troops say. There goes the fifty cent savings.

Of course, asking government to think is too much to ask for, and the further up the governmental chain we go, the more insulated they are.

Sometimes I think we ought to simply vote every single one of them out no matter who they are.

===================================


my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Dinky little end table, hatchet or hammer - Some dis-assembly required.
    Put in bottom of trash bin.

    ReplyDelete