Friday, January 6, 2012

An exception to my rule of not advertising for a business

I seldom ever say anything about companies on this blog but this is going to be the second exception I have ever made.

I bought the Combat laptop from Excel Computers in Carrollton, Georgia almost a year ago and a couple of weeks ago the hard drive crashed.

Now before the readers start jumping to conclusions and wondering why the Combat laptop crapped out on me in less than a year you have to understand that this is NOT a $6500 machine I bought from the manufacturer. It was government surplus and I paid about $200 for it, delivered. In short, things like this are generally throwaways to most people.

The Excel people bore no responsibility whatsoever. None. I had bought a surplus item and it worked for a while and died. I had no rights to expect much more.

When the Combat laptop went down I wondered how to get it back up and running and decided to see if some IT guy I knew would be able to swap the hard drive out if I managed to snag one. I really didn't know where to go to get one so I decided to call the place I bought it. I called Excel Computers and spoke to one of the people there.

I explained that I knew it was a surplus item and that I wasn't griping, I simply wanted the part and maybe a little advice as to how to install it and install the operating system.

Instead he simply told me to send the machine in along with a little more than the cost of shipping.

I explained that I was pressed for time as my shore time was limited and that this machine is my seagoing computer. No problem, he told me.

I sent it to him the day I get back from sea and he was good to his word. In one week I had the machine back. I turned it on and it fired right up and seems to work better than it did when I first got it. I checked and all of the pesty Itronix drivers needed to make the thing run right were installed, also. All I had to do was download a few updates and I was back in business.

You do not run into people and businesses like that in this day and age and it is wonderful when you do.

I have never heard of a company servicing a surplus machine that was sold pretty much 'as is' simply for the price of shipping plus probably less than the price of parts. This is a first for me.

It makes you wonder how a company like that can survive until you think about it for a while.

Then you realize how they manage to survive. It is a thing called repeat business and I can say for sure that if they have what I need in the future I am going to look them up first. These people are great!



my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment