Wednesday, March 7, 2012

busy as hell

now. I may post later


It's later


I am back to doing what I do and things are beginning to settle down a bit.

I had a pretty good breakfast this morning because I knew it was going to be a long day and I was right. It has been pretty busy.

Over the past couple of days I have had to deal with a few minor problems that people have made out of thin air.

I swear, I could rob a bank, come out with $3,347,987.27 in small unnsequestially serial numbered bill, make a clean getaway and someone in the conspiracy woould start bellyaching about the dime laying on the floor that I didn't stop to snag on the way out.

All in all it was a pretty good time home.

One of the things I have noticed is that a lot of local hams monitor the 2 meter band and have then in their rigs. I have a small on-the-roof antenna that I sometimes hook up to my little handy-talkie and it has actually been pretty useful a couple of times for snagging directions and finding out about traffic tie-ups.

A lot of other guys use them when running errands just to have something to do while running errands.

While most of the time the unit my rig will be off, it is a good thing to have.

Right now I am getting a little scared because a couple of guys are gloating about how winter is over already. The Great Yogi Berra was speaking the truth when he said, "The game ain't over 'til it's over."

I have seen some pretty horrific snow storms pop up out of nowhere and go back to where they came from over the years. Bam! Four feet of snow!

Last night a friend who is another ham had me over for a while to check out some of the digital work he is doing with radio. He was doing some of the digital stuff I know little or nothing about and while it was fascinating from a technical point of view, it does not appear to be me.

I have no real interest in hooking a computer to a radio at this time because to me it takes the personal touch out of it.

When I turn the rig on to either AM or SSB I hear a person and I have also managed to discertain different styles while listening to Morse from time to time. Every operator out there that is running Morse and isn't using an automatic keyer seems to have their own style.

While it is not as human as a voice, it is at least something and to me a computer can be a pretty impersonal thing.

I guess it is the same in businesses. Back not too long ago sales types were generally pretty personable types and they often met face to face with clients. These days an awful lot of business is done with email and electronic devices and I think a lot gets lost that way.

Of course, you generally buy a car from a dealer and have to face those kind of people. I think my next car I am going to purchase on line to avoid having to deal with car salesman.

Other than cars, though, I like to see and check out what I am buying.




my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment