Monday, September 21, 2015

Over the years I have taken a few part time jobs.



They always seem to end up the same way. I leave and the people that hired me are standing there agape wondering what happened. Apparently there are a lot of people in Pittsburgh that can't count.

I have always been up front about my status when I get hired. I make it perfectly clear that this is a part time gig just for chump change and I have no intent of quitting my regular job. I carefully explain that I am making an awful lot more money at sea than I am working ashore to the person that hires me.

At my reguar job I generally work a three weeks on, three weeks off cycle. Crew changes are generally in the middle of the week. When I get home I would tke a couple days off and start the first Monday. 

By the end of the week the headaches and pressure would start. "This is a pretty good job, huh? Interested in doing this full time?" 

Oh, Lord. Here it comes again.

"I'm not giving up my full-time job," I'd answer. "Truth is you can't afford to pay me what I am making out there."

"Well, what would it take you to stay?" They'd ask.

I tell them and they get offended. Generally I bring a paycheck stub with me when they look offended. They see it and they look astonished and hurt.

Come the following Friday I'd remind them I was going back to my regular job and they wold get all pouty faced and tell me they're looking for a full-timer. I'd take that as being my walking papers and the part-time job would end then and there. I wouldn't call them when I got back to town. Why bother?

I can't for the life of me figure out why people can't listen or count. I would be up front with them and they wouldn't listen or didn't want to listen. It was really quite simple. I was looking for part-time work, Not a career. I already have a career.

This is why I never take any offers for part-time work when I am off for my shore leave. I wind up dealing with stupid and you can't fix stupid.


To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment