Friday, April 6, 2018

The well casing caved in a few years back

Before the days of city water people had wells.

When we moved in we had city water but the well and the pump were still installed. It worked and supplied water if I wanted to use it. I occasionally used it for washing cars and such. My project for the day is to yank it and haul it off.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Noon update.

What a dirty Herculean mess that was!

 It is a woeful tale of dirt, grease, and a couple of worn out and busted Sawzall blades.

The tank came out in a few minutes. The electric motor came off easily enough. The gearbox was a small slug fest but the actual pump itself was a horror show of laying on my side with a Sawzall cutting through a pipe.

Before I tackled that I removed the now unused wires leading to the breaker sub-panel  (which I yanked first)

I hate unused wires being left anywhere. If it isn't any good then get rid of it.

Cutting the pipe would have been easy enough but the pump piston was in it so I had to chew through the entire mess. It was no fun.

The pump itself was connected to maybe 100 feet of pipe and finally it let go and fell into the casing with a loud, very satisfying noise that was pleasing to the ear as it rattled down the casing taking the piston down with it.

Right now I am cooking lunch/dinner. I'll have the leftovers tonight.

After noon chow I will go down and cap the casing off and take care of the leftover wire that is hot. I'll use the hot wire to mount a light on the overhead of the pump nook. In addition to saving me having to trace the damned thing I'll get a useful light out of it.

A visitor dropped by and asked me where I learned to do all of this stuff and I told her that I helped cap blowouts for Red Adair.

Actually it is simple. I'll put a piece of plate steel over the casing head and be done with it.

After I cap it off I think I'll drop in on Ginger Rogers and have a drink with her seeing how Red Adair is dead and gone.

Come to think of it maybe I won't.

Ginger Rogers is dead and gone, too.

Oh, well.....











To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment