Saturday, April 4, 2020

One of the things I see about all things MILSPEC

is how many people simply assume it is the best stuff out there.

Oftentimes it actually is but not always.

Sometimes it's a lot worse. How many serving GIs take one look at their gear and promptly go out on the civilian market and buy stuff to either augment or replace it?

Of course back in the day most of us didn't have this option. I recall finding an OD green civvie sleeping bag at Surplus City and quietly slipping into my issue bag for winter field problems but I had to keep it under wraps.

Still, I guess today some GIs are given the option to use non issue gear. Many of them opt to.

Still, the point is that MILSPEC gear is often not as good as some of the stuff out there.

Yet there is an entire caste of people out there that swear by 100% MILSPEC gear.

They seem to forget that the stuff the government buys is supplied by the lowest bidder.

Hell, back in basic when they first issued us M16A1s most of the guys were agog at such a piece of equipment.

I looked at them and said, "You DO realize that these rifles were supplied to the government by the lowest bidder. Look. They were made by the GM Hydra-Matic Division. GM ain't no gunmaker1"

As soon as I said that I realized I had screwed up because the drill sergeant had overheard me. Instantly I realized I was going to be OK because he was smirking.






To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment