Sunday, April 19, 2020

There are AA batteries, AAA batteries, C-cells and D-cells

I just heard someone ask why there are no B-cells. Did the battery companies skip B-cells for some reason?

The reason you don't see them anymore is because they are not needed anymore. They were designed to provide higher voltage for portable radios to run the vacuum tubes.

My mother had a 40s portable radio, a Zenith and it was normally used plugged into the wall. However I remember a couple of times when I was little she would put batteries in it and take it to the beach with us. I remember her putting a couple of large batteries in it that she called 'B batteries'. They were expensive then and didn't last very long. She wanted to listen to something important when we went to the beach. I don't remember what but I do remember that when we got home she carefully removed the batteries and carefully stored them somewhere.

Of course they have not made B batteries in decades but they did.

The event of the transistor radio brought it to a halt.

And now you know about B batteries.



To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment