Friday, August 21, 2020

Hair was fun. It was a toy. It was to be played with

I remember the time I got a duck's ass and a real jellyroll. I was living in Kodiak at the time and was a scruffy bearded fisherman/carpenter.

Hair grows. It gets cut and you can either grow it or cut in any way you choose. When I was a fisherman I generally kept if fairly short and had a beard. I didn't like the ZZ Top beard look so I kept it somewhat trimmed up. 

One day I decided that I wanted to run around for a couple of weeks in a 50s grease cut, a real Joe '56 duck's ass and jellyroll. When I wandered into the barbershop I told Sue what I was up to so she trimmed my beard and called it good. 

This lasted for months and months until Sue commented I would be ready in about another month. Sometime during the month I procured a jar of Dixie Peach pomade. Good stuff. Put in in a duck's ass and jellyroll and take the top down on a '57 Chevy and at 120 mph not a hair out of place. A pea sized gob of it in a flat top and you can rest a concrete block on it.

When the time came it was a barber shop shave and Sue went to work.  

I left the barbershop with a classic grease cut, engineer boots, cuffed blue jeans and a white T-shirt with a pack of Luckies rolled up in the sleeve. Instant time machine.

I ran around like that for about a month until I got tired of having to comb it up every morning so one day I washed the pomade out and wandered back in to the barber shop and had Sue give me a fisherman's cut and the world went back to normal.

I did this again here about 15 years ago and one of the kids asked me a couple of questions about what I used to keep my hair in shape. A couple of months later I spotted a couple of neo Rexall Rangers so I figure the kids had gotten the idea from me and tried it out for a couple of months. 

I laughed because it's not too many older guys that can start a teenaged fad even if it didn't last very long.








To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment