Friday, February 17, 2023

Late night/early morning post.

It had been probably two decades, maybe longer, since I've had a breakfast beer until a couple of weeks ago. About two weeks ago I had a friend over and we had a Guinness with Piccolo's World Famous Biscuits and Gravy (Patent pending)

I didn't drink anything else that day but it sure tasted good with breakfast.

The last breakfast beer I can recall is on a Baltic 42 sailing from Honolulu (with a stop in Maui) to Tacoma, Washington. I sailed as navigator, shooting stars and sun lines with a sextent.



I think I am not going to wait another two decades.

8888888888888888888888888888888

In other news, back when I was an Ordinary Seaman on one of my first tugboats we had a skipper that was pretty cheap with the grub.

(The OVERWHELMING majority of them maks damned good and sure their crews eat well. Seriously. I ate like a hog my whole career.)

Anyway, I had a pal ashore grab me a bag of limes and when I cooked the evening meal ( Deckhands double as cooks on tugs) I started serving a quarter of a lime on everyone's plate.

The entire crew picked up on it and it took a couple of days for the skipper to figure it out and he went off like a skyrocket on me only to get rat packed by the rest of the crew.

Meals got a LOT better after that.

For those of you that don't understand, the Royal Navy served limes aboard ship to prevent scurvy.




To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment