Saturday, August 26, 2023

Finish your beer! Think of those poor sober kids overseas that have no beer!


I wonder these days if mothers still tell their kids to clean their plates because of the starving people overseas. Probably.

In my case it was the starving people in Europe after WW2 and yes, there was a lot of hunger in Europe for the decade afterwards. That was followed by the kids in Korea and two decades later by the kids in Vietnam.

I would not be surprised to hear that it goes back to the Roman Legions or even Alexander the Great. 

I can hear the wife of one of Alexander's grunts telling the kids to eat everything on their plate. " Finish your supper! Think of those poor, starving kids in that Persian city your father just razed!"

(Some kid answers, "Aww, Mom. There are no starving kids in Persia. After they burned it and plundered it they had a great big barbecue and ate them all.")

I grew up with the starving people in Europe and ate everything on my plate which did nobody any good. The people over there still went hungry. It probably made some of the other kids that got that treatment kids get fat.

That was early on and that's when I started to realize that much of which I would probably be made to do further on in life was deal with stupidity.

I will concede that there is one thing it did do is make me frugal about food. I do my damnedest not to waste it and I am NOT a part of the 'I don't eat leftovers' set. I sure as hell do.

If I cook something it gets eaten and there are several dishes that I prefer to eat as leftovers. In fact this evening I may pick up a pizza to put in the refrigerator to have for breakfast.






To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment