Thursday, August 10, 2023

Ooooh! YuckI I have to run my water for five whole minutes to clear it up!

Some kindly soul posted an FYI notice on Nextdoor explaining that the water people had fixed a leaking pipe of some sort and as a result her water was kinda lemonade looking.  So she took the initiative to call the water people to report it and they told her what had happened and the cure was simply to let the water run for a few minutes until it cleared up. Kudos to her. Thank you.

Enter some whiner that griped about having to to run her water a whole five or six minutes to flush her pipes. BFD.

What?

I wanted to suggest she grab a couple of buckets and walk to the local creek. I've lived without electricity and running water for over a decade during my life and have benefitted tremendously from it but that's another story. I'll tell it sometime. I've hauled water before. A LOT of water.

The thought that someone has to actually DO something for themselves seems entirely alien to some people. They don't know how good they have it. 

Last night I woke up and had to pee. My feet hit the floor and I spotted the dim light of the head. (bathroom, restroom, $hitter, whatever you call it. I'm a retired sailor and we called it a head. I still do.)

Anyway, when I saw the night light I grinned and muttered "Thanks, Chief." I don't take a lot of things for granted. It was a reference to the Chief Engineer that is responsible for generating the vessel's energy, electrical and propulsion. Along with pressurized potable water, sewage and a number of other things.

Actually the 'Chief' at the power plant generating my electricity was probably some highly paid electrical engineer that was possibly wearing a full dress uniform consisting of a T-shirt, cutoff sweat pants and flip flops with his feet up monitoring a console that way because the 'suits' were not around. Suits usually work 9 to 5.

We live in an amazing world where running water is delivered to our taps and electricity is delivered to out outlets and light fixtures. I won't get into WiFi.

Anyway, some group of people were working all night to repair a busted main of some sort and got it complete by oh-dark-thirty so the people they service could wake up to running water.

Please note that these people were busting their tails working in the weather while you were asleep enjoying dreamland. he had a pretty good night to work in. It was seasonably warm and they likely thanked their lucky stars it wasn't in early February during an ice storm. They work in  all kinds of weather.

My suggestion is for you to open your eyes and look at the world around you and realize that the infrastructure around you is run by human beings manning all sorts of mechanical thing that break down once in a while and giving these people a break.

How about doing your share and making it easy for those guys.  

Simply run your water for a couple of minutes this one time and make it easy for the guys that work to make your life easy . It's not going to kill you.

It's not a whole lot to ask.

Besides, it's a lot better than drinking muddy lemonade colored water.

Then again I grew up in the age where mothers told their kids to either eat it and shut up.







To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment