Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Won't try that one again.


I'm having a pastrami and cheese omelet for breakfast today. It's sorta kinda OK and edible but not very inspiring.

I won't do that again in the foreseeable future.

Still, I'm glad I tried it.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

On other gnus, I finished the garage thermostat project and wish I had thought of it earlier. It works rather well. Hopefully the new garage door will render this project moot because it will seal up better than the old door and keep a little more heat in the garage.

The water enters the house from the street via the garage because city water arrived someone got stupid or lazy or both.

It was OK before I insulated and sheetrocked the garage as heat from the basement would flow into the garage via the joisting. Afterwards with the heat sealed into the basement the garage grew somewhat colder on cold nights. 

I heat taped the pipes and built a box to surround the water meter and put a 100 watt bulb in the box. Later I put two 100 watt bulbs in it in case one burned out. (Murphy was an optimist.)

I'd only run it on cold sub freezing nights.

Also the old garage door leaked like a sieve and the new one should be a lot tighter so that should make the space warmer.

Here's how it works. I bought a thing called an Inkbird Wired Digital Temperature Controller Heat Thermostat off of eBay for about $30, delivered. 

I set it to turn the lights on at 35F, leaving a 3 degree margin of error and turn off at 65F. That sounds like a big difference and it is but the heavily insulated box eats up fast and cools down slowly. It should take maybe 15 minutes to heat the box up to 65 F and a whole lot more than that to cool back down to 35 F.

The record low in this area is about -22 and I think I'm easily good for that but every now and then Mother Nature says 'hold my beer' and sets another record low that gets the 'climate change' people all weirded out. I should be OK, though.

Actually with a new garage door which should easily seal up a lot better than the old one the unit probably won't run for the whole winter...hopefully.

I also just bought a little 110 volt buzzer to test the system with. I wanted something small and not an ear buster and it was rather hard to find on an eBay page full of air raid sirens, submarine klaxons and the like. I just want a small buzzer. After all, it's bad juju sending the entire neighborhood to air raid or tornado shelters. I just want something loud enough to hear when I'm upstairs, a small buzzer fits the bill.

It will likely be shut off when the testing is done.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Then again, while I was shopping for the buzzer on eBay I did come across a 140 db air raid siren for $75 delivered...

It's quite a temptation.











To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment