Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Another pretty good sea story.

One of the characters I sailed was a joy to be around. I laughed a lot when he was my mate and later I turned the captaincy over to his and sailed as mate which was pretty much a win/win situation which I may get into on a later post.

Anyway, he'd been with me about six months and he was on the 0001-0600 watch. One morning he reported to me that the office had called and wanted him to give him the time log.

He started to read it from where I had left off several hours earlier and the dispatcher interrupted him telling him to start 'in the begining'.

So he told me that he started off with "In the begining God created Heavens and Earth. Now the earth was formless and empty and there was darkness and over the deep and the spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said "Let there be light." and there was light and we arrived at the dock at 1530. God saw the light was good and he seperated it from the light and darkness and we were all fast at 1545. And he called the light day and the darkness night and we attached the hose at 1605". and so on.  

It probably took him about 15 minutes to give him less than a minutes worth of information.

Needless to say I died laughing and thanked him for warning me. 

He hung around making a breakfast and about two minutes later the phone rang. It was a pissed off dispatcher that knew when I would be on watch.

He started to rant and rave at me over the mate's bull$hit from a few hours earlier and told me I had better straighten him out.

"Straighten him  out?! I shot back. "After all the time I spent training him?! No way in Hell! I like him just the way he is!" and I hung up.

Later an amused port captain called and asked what the hell had happened. I told him and he laughed. "I got this," he said. "He's a new guy and probably needs a good breaking in. I see you guys were gentle with him."



To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment