Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Gettin' near time for a new computer

Which happens every so often. I generally get about 5 years out of an obsolete rugged laptop. This one has 12900 hours on it and I got it about 4-5 years ago and it's served me well. No complaints considering I got it for free. 

It's a Panasonic CF 53 and the only problem I have with it is that it won't update to Windows 11. Windows 10 support ended in October and it's generally best to beat the last minute panic.

As is always the case, I'm looking for another rugged laptop which generally means to stay reasonably affordable it means I have to run with a little older technology which isn't really a problem.

I ran with old Gobook IIs for quite a while but then they stopped servicing XP which was a pretty good operating system. They could only handle XP so they got replaced. Windows 10 hasn't been bad.

Actually for what I do I could probably do well with Windows 98 if they still serviced it. It's not like I'm gaming and need something with 6 carburetors and a full race cam or some kind of supercharger.

One thing happens every time I mention that I could easily still get by with Windows 98 if they still serviced it is the ensuing horror show as every screams at me in horror that they don't service it anymore and I'll get all sorts of viruses and so on.

Well, no $hit. I know they don't service it anymore. That's why I don't still use it. Fact is, I did everything I do now on line with Windows 98 and pretty much just as fast.

Anyway, I just might actually cough up a few bucks and buy something halfway decent. I see a couple of rugged Dell Latitude 5420s out there for fairly short money.

No hurry but we shall see what we shall see.

Any ideas are most welcome.



  




To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

2 comments:

  1. I do a lot of offline microcontroller software development on an old Windows XP laptop. It's worked for about 15 years. All I do is buy a new battery pack about every 5 years. Who cares if it's no longer supported; it still starts fast, runs great, and it's much more responsive than my crappy, sluggish Windows10 machine that I use when I have to go online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I'm generally on line. Otherwise I'd still run with and old Itronix GoBook II.

    ReplyDelete