Tuesday, November 30, 2010

It’s ‘Merry Christmas’ and the hell with PC.

Christmas is coming and it is time to break out the mistletoe. This holiday season I am wearing it on my shirt tail.

The PC crowd is cordially invited to use it.

This year, with the exception of at work I am NOT going to say ‘Happy Holidays’ or ‘Season’s Greetings’ to anyone.

Period.

I am going to say “Merry Christmas’ like I am supposed to.

I have said that for 59 years, man and boy to those of all faiths and I have not yet had one single person of another faith take exception. Not one.

Several years ago a Jewish neighbor got his mailbox stuffed with anti Semitic literature so I hung a Menorah in my window during the Jewish holiday season to make it clear that whoever wasn’t going to get away with spreading hate in MY neighborhood.

Why? It is because I respect all religions. I make it a point to wish those of other faiths a good holiday season. I wish my Jewish neighbors a Happy Hanukah and the guy at the 7-11 that is a Muslim gets good wishes on Ramadan. It is the decent thing to do. I do this face to face in a respectful manner and generally their face lights up.

However, these are people that I know and it is a personal thing. They wish me a Merry Christmas in return.

I have asked a number of people of other faiths if they resent being greeted with “Merry Christmas” and to this date not one single person has told me they resent it whatsoever.

“Hey, if some Christian wants to share his holiday with me, that’s fine,” seems to be the prevailing attitude among the number of Jews, Muslims, Hindus and others I have dealt with over the years.

In fact, when you get right down to it, there are a whole lot of non-Christians in this country that do celebrate Christmas in their own way. They do the Santa thing at home with their kids and like the good Americans they are, they cheerfully join right in at the annual fistfight over a parking space at the mall or catfight over a Furbie Doll at Toys R Us.

Although they are not Christian, they join right in with their own style and get with the program. You may not see them at Midnight Mass at St. Mary’s, of course, but that is to be expected. Christmas is a 2 part holiday. There is the religious aspect and the Santa aspect. Many non-Christians celebrate the holiday simply by enjoying the non-religious aspect and that’s just fine by me.

Most non-Christians also know they are the minority in this nation and they respect the fact that they are permitted to exercise their right to worship as they choose. They also respect the rights of others so they don’t sweat the small stuff.

Several non-Christians I know grin and think it’s pretty generous of Christians to want to share their holiday with them.

The only people out there that seem to take offense to someone saying ‘Merry Christmas’ to them seem to be the usual gang of PC troublemakers and they are invited to use my mistletoe. Hell, if they are female I might be willing to move the mistletoe to the front shirt tail for that matter. Then again, maybe I won’t. Most of the PC women I have met are as ugly as a mud fence. It would take a lot of Christmas brandy to permit that and I hate hangovers.

The people that want me to use the ‘Season’s Greetings’ line that I will obey are the HR people at work. They know it is a crock, but they have a job to do and that is to keep the company from getting bad publicity or being sued by the crybabies in this world.

The HR at work people get a pass. It isn’t my company, so I go by their rules. Fair enough.

To the planet, I loudly sing out my greeting of “Merry Christmas”. To those that do not like it, simply use the mistletoe.











my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Amen!!


    Everytime I enter a business and I'm greeted with anything besides "Merry Christmas" I quickly remind them that It's Christmas. If we were celebrating Hanukkah or ramadamn they wouldn't have a job. So put that fucking Santa hat on and smile God dammitt.

    MC4H

    ReplyDelete