Thursday, May 3, 2012

It is 0700 and I have been up for a while

which sort of sucks. I wish I could sleep in a little more but I didn't for some reason. My first night home I usually go straight into the ozone but I guess not last night.

I opened some of the mail last night and there was a QSL card from Holland and a rebate. 

A rebate? Yup. A rebate. When you QSO someone overseas things get a little expensive. Some of these overseas hams are running homebrew rigs and don't make a whole lot of money.Postage and QSL cards are expensive so a savvy ham will put a couple of bucks in with his outgoing QSL card to cover his expenses. I think I sent $3 which is really a little more than I should have sent. Some of these overseas hams drop in on a net and can get over 100 contacts and figuring about a buck apiece for cards it adds up.

You are the one asking for a QSL card so it is only fair to make it easy for the guy.

Anyway, when I opened the envelope there was a nice QSL card and two of the three ones I had sent. Pretty neat.

South Dakota has not answered me yet which sucks. I have QSO'd the same guy twice on 2 bands and sent him 2 QSL cards with 2 SASEs AND a letter with yet another SASE and he has seen fit not to answer. Go figure. There is always one. This guy is a doctor and owns an airplane and you would think he would have the decency to respond, but NoOo.

I guess I am going to have to rework SD again which is a pain in the ass because there are only about 2000 hams in the entire state and you can figure there are not a whole lot of them on the air at any one given time.

A couple of things for my summer trip to Perry trickled in while I was away. I now have an army cot and that is a good thing as I can use it to siesta on while someone spells me while we are on the air there. Also, an AR.15 cot com flag arrived and I will use that to mark our operation.

One other thing arrived, too. I got my credit card renewal. which means I have to buckle down and write all of the people I use automatic credit card payment with. My credit card company is pretty slick in that they keep changing renewal dates so the expiration date is different than the last time I renewed.

They were also a pain in the neck as they cancelled the one I had in my pocket when I was at sea. They generally cancel the old one about 10 days after they mail the new one to pressure you to activate it. This is OK if I am ashore but they almost left me at sea high and dry. I called them and they fixed the problem.

More and more things are credit card automatic payment these days. I guess I'll have to take care of this tonight.

Anyway, I am home and I have things to do.





my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment