Sunday, May 13, 2012

Well, SD came in yesterday

After a couple of months, 2 SASEs. 2 QSL cards and a letter some doctor in SD never sent me a QSL for SD which really had me angery. Last Tuesday I found anothe ham from SD that was on an internet forum and he agreed to work me right then and there.

We both turned out rigs on to a 20 meter frequency and instant QSO and the following morning he postman in SD recieved a QSL card marked for delivery to me.

Most likely this guy was a regular working stiff.

Anyway there are a couple of ARRL QSL card checkers nearby and I am going to take them there next time I get a chance and see if I can get an official WAS certificate and pin.

Yesterday I dropped three trees and had to deal with major stupidity as when I dropped the big one it unexpectedly decided not to follow the direction of pull and it nestled itself into the tree next to it. It was touch and go for a while and when I shouted to Neighbor Bob that I needed his Come-Along he reached into his pocket and ate a big, giant, new and improved sized stupid pill. He decided , Hey! I've got a good idea! I've got FOUR WHEEL DRIVE! and drove his pickup into the back yard where, of course, it promptly got stuck.

Of course, there is nothing quite as stupid as the human male when it comes to getting a truck stuck. I had a tree flapping in the breeze that could have torn up all kinds of stuff if it wasn't brought to the ground fast, yet like an awful lot of males the entire planet stops when he gets a truck stuck. Unsticking it becomes Top Priority.

You could be fifty yards from the hospital with a wife who has just had her water break but the average guy will stop right then and there and start the process for getting a truck unstuck.

This, of course is stupidity. Nobody is going to steal the truck and it will be there forever unless you unstick it. If it is not in the way there simply is no reason to get in a dither about it but an awful lot of men do.

Ther is no way to convince a lot of men otherwise. Logic does not work here. The reasoning is strictly emotional. When you explain to a guy with a stuck truck that there are Rebel forces en-route, cannibals a quarter mile away and closing, and three alligators headed your way led by a pair of Grizzly Bears and that you have to get out ot there, the average guy will look at you incredulously and say,, "But my truck is stuck!"

The easiert thing to do was to unstick the truck and pray the Wind Gods kept silent.

I finally got back on task after I yanked him out of the mud and chewed him out for being stupid enough to try and make a simple project of getting a come along into a circus. I also chewed him out because he KNOWS you never bring a truck down back until at least mid June until the land dries up completely.

Thhe Wind Gods, of course, gently pushed the tree into the crotch of another tree and I had to make a couple af very risky cuts to dislodge it and I got lucky and finally got it to fall where I wanted it to.

The other two I felled without incident. All three trees got de-limbed and bucked up and right now I am tired but have a day's work to get done as there is yet another tree I have to deal wiht and will do so as soon as I finish here.

I also have to get grub today which is another pain in the ass because I have to get it a couple of days before I go to sea so as to be able to freeze a lot of it hard.  Almost every single time I plan this for Sunday someone somewhere suggests I do it at the last minute which, of course I can not do.

When I say so, I get a confused look followed by, "Well, I don't understand."

Anyway I have a busy day today and it is likely that everyone and their first cousin twice removed will want me to do something else as an add-to and they will be upset when I point ot to them that they had almost two weeks for me to help them.

Truth is, that's just too damned bad. I can only do what I can do.








my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment