Friday, May 4, 2012

Taxes and cheaper places to live

Today is a pretty good day to go hilltopping but I have a bunch of stuff to do over the property tax issue. It seems that everybody's has just gone through the roof which means that the people in the County were not thinking as usual.

I'm going to see how this plays out but the truth is that when taxes go up too much and a working class neighborhood gets a high tax base than one out of two things had best happen. Either the schools and services had better become first rate or people are going to decide not to move into that county.

There are times I think that I ought to bail the hell out of here and move to another county or even leave the state for someplace like West Virginia.

What? West Virginia? Why would you move to West Virginia?

Simple. There really isn't a wholle lot there. Unemployment is up, there are a lot of places where the base of the town, either a mine or some sort of a mill have shut down and the place is somewaht economically on their ass.

Things are a lot cheaper there and the tax base is lower.

In my line of work I can live anywhere as I go to sea and after my tour is up I go home.  It works for me.

The trick is to find a place where the financial base is shot and move there and you will be, relatively speaking, a king.

I know a lot of people that have done that and by all reports they are pretty happy with the results. Most of them have waited until their youngest kid was out of high scchool before taking the plunge as the reason they stayed in the neighborhood they were in was to see their kids got a decent basic education. After that they moved to some far flung remote outpost that was a lot cheaper place to live.

For now I am likely to stick around here but I think I will make damned good and sure my property taxes are what they are supposed to be because something is fishy about how they assessed us.

We'll see.








my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

  1. WV is nice, but if you really want to escape the tax trap move out West. Wyoming or Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is paid out in property taxes is determined by two things:
    - Assessed value
    - Tax rate

    The last time the tax rate was lowered around here, people still paid the same (or more!). The assessed value was simply jacked up while the politicians trumpeted their success at lowering taxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The politicians should have been tarred and feathered for that stunt.

    ReplyDelete