Monday, May 6, 2013

Ham radio at sea.


Yesterday in a few hours I worked Asiatic Russia, Kuwait, Algeria, England Canary Islands, Senegal and Macedonia on my little backpack rig and that's pretty damned good if you ask me.

The little rig is the real reason I got into ham radio when I think of it. The fact that I later got myself an IC-718 and a 43 foot DX Engineering vertical is immaterial  Truth is I like my PRC 320 and setting up in odd places and going on the air.

Today I worked St Lucia, Sardania, Serbia and a neat Special Events Station in England set up where the Dambusters set out on their famous raid on the Ruhr Valley dams 70 years ago. The latter will get me a really neat looking QSL card when I send for it.

I also worked a couple of guys I know through a website I frequent, one in NC and the other in Nebraska. All in all a pretty good deal.

The little rig fares poorly in pileups but sends out a pretty good punch even though it is only 30 watts and it is pretty rugged which makes it a good rig to travel with.

Here's a picture of it.



Anyway, that's today's post.

Be the first kid on your block to read them all.




To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html

No comments:

Post a Comment