Saturday, May 18, 2013

I hit the deck running this morning after a surprise.

This is one of the mornings I turned the rig on for background on the 20 meter band and maybe twirl a dial while the coffee is brewing. I heard a call, answered it and woke up to a nice chat with someone in Papua New Guinea.

Of course I checked to make sure he wasn't a Japanese holdout still waiting  for the Emperor to relieve him.

He wasn't.

I then checked to make sure he wasn't a missionary sitting in a giant stewpot.

He wasn't.

He was some kind of guy working there for a while on contract. He was also nice enough to let me know to send for a QSL card via a friend in Italy because writing to that place is not only expensive but takes months.

That is a nice gesture. Someone in Bahrain told me the same thing. He said the mail system there sucks and that a lot of stuff gets stolen so if I want a QSL card from him to send to someone else in Spain.

The internet has made a lot of this possible as he can store his radio log on a computer and upload it to a QSL manager somewhere else to insure the cards get sent.

The last Cuba card I got came from Spain and the Mexican I bagged last night sent me to his QSL manager in Spain.

Mexico? Mexico? You JUST got Mexico?

Yup. Last night I finally bagged Mexico. Nice guy. When I thanked him and told him I needed Mexico he stopped the pile-up then and there and made damned sure he got my information perfectly and told me that if I do not get a card from his manager in short order to write him personally.

Ya gotta like guys like that.

Last night I broke up another pile up. I finally got through to someone in Jersey and had fought my way through when someone walked on me. I briefly broke contact and asked the guy, "Don't you have any manners? Your mother should have taken you over her knee when you were a lad and taught you some!"

The contact in Jersey 'bout died laughing.

Not much of a post, but it'll have to do.


To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html

2 comments:

  1. Just wait until you are trying for a new DX and there is that one op that does not get the meaning of "listening 5 up", but he did somehow figure out how to get his KW amp going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has happened to me more than once. I swear the idiot was running the full 1.5 Kw.

    ReplyDelete