Tuesday, May 28, 2013

I wonder what is going to happen next?

Last night I had a burger with a neighbor and it was a good deal as we chatted.

Today I have to get squared away and go back to making a living.

I'll get out of here pretty soon and grab a few last minute items at the store and of I go to my other life. That's where I spin the wheels of industry and keep people from having to walk home and freeze in the dark.

Someone once asked me what I did for a living and I told them that. "I keep you from having to walk home and freeze in the dark," I said. "I move oil."

A lot of people don't understand how things have to be moved around. They go to the steel mill or the sneaker factory and when the steel or sneakers are brought outside they figure it ends there.

What the forget is that in order to keep making steel or sneakers they have to be taken somewhere and sold. Over 90% of all things moved at some point move by water. It's the cheapest way to do things.

Countless times we have taken one barge, one tugboat, seven guys and moved over 100,000 barrels of oil from, say, Philly to New York harbor in about 24 hours. That's 42,000,000 gallons of product moved with a little under 1500 gallons of diesel fuel. 

When you figure that a truck only runs, say, 8900 gallons you can figure the number of trucks, men and fuel needed to do the same job. Math is on you. Still, you can see that water is a lot cheaper.

It's even cheaper than rail.

Anyway, I'm off to spin the wheels of industry so as to make this great nation of ours a safe place for Americans to raise their children and carve a life out for them selves, their children and the generations a-comin'. There. Have some good Gabby Hays frontier gibberish to start the day with.






To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html

No comments:

Post a Comment