Friday, May 17, 2013

Have not checked in with Jda yet

as she doesn't light up the airwaves for another hour.

I'm sitting here poking around and playing radio games and just finished a short rag chew with some guy in Australia. There's yard work to be done but the day doesn't begin until I have checked in with the Young Ladies.

Looks like this year my hillside is going to be the place where the doe gives birth to her little fawn. I can see that they are checking it out again as a likely spot. I hope I am home when it happens.

Not much to report but when I mailed out my QSLs yesterday the postal clerk marveled at them and asked me about being a ham. The cards, about 40 of them, went all over the world and most were from the boat trip I just got off of.

I'm simply going about basic business today and over the next few days I am grabbing a local ham to be an Elmer and  get me started on PSK-31 and the digital modes as it looks interesting.

My beard is coming along nicely and will probably look good for the wedding. I'm growing it because it makes me look a little nicer when it's trimmed up. My credentials arrived and are in good order and it looks like I am a genuine minister. 

Actually the little kit they send you is worth every dime as it is a well made set of just about every credential you can use. It is pretty professional.

One of the neighbors that is generally a defender of mine expressed a bit of disgust that I had signed up  but seemed mollified when I told her that there was no conflict of interest with her Catholicism and that I had in fact sworn to protect her freedom to practice it.

As I sit here I am listening to a signal from Indonesia get a little stronger. There's no pile-up and he seems slow. Sometimes when a signal is weak it's best to wait until either it strengthens or simply dies out.

Today the 20 meter band seems odd as I have 2 QSOs with Australia and seem to have a hard time cheking in with the YL system.

Anyway, word of my 'ordination' swept through the neighborhood and I suppose it has been the source of chuckles and consternation but that's the way the ball bounces. What is interesting is that a neighbor that sends their kids to Catholic school and makes the kids address people as Mr and Mrs is going to do about this. Two buck to a Krispy Kreme I will be addressed as 'Reverend'.

No problems with that as these people are doing their damnedest to raise a couple of kids and do it right. I am MISTER Pic to these kids and although it makes me feel old and I'd really rather be called  simply 'Pic' I work with it because I know what the parents are doing.

Oh, well.

I just went out to the driveway and I'm wearing an Israeli Paratrooper T-shirt and a woman who was being walked by her dog asked me if I was Jewish. I told her I was Irish and the only difference is that if I was Jewish I would do a better job of cooking corned beef. She looked confused.

Sometimes the truth confuses people. Look at corned beef. The Jewish delis do a damned sight better job on corned beef than the Irish do by a longshot.

It is astonishing how much the trees change in the course of a couple of weeks. Spring is damned near over and I see summer coming and going. It is going to go very fast for me this year and I have a hard time keeping my priorities in sync with everyone else as I see life passing by so fast.





To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html

2 comments:

  1. Jewish made corn beef may be better, but give me an Irish beer any day! (I'm a big fan of Smithwick's myself, but there are plenty others on my list that seem to be short on imports.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. The Irish do make better beer and also whiskey.

    ReplyDelete