Monday, September 22, 2014

I am sitting here wracking my brain



 and thinking about the odd things that happened in Kodiak during my stay there. I just had a thought about the seamier side of the drug world.


Every now and then huge batches of some drug or another would hit town and be sold on the street for bargain prices. Two drugs come to mind although there were others. They are Quaaludes and mushrooms.


When a huge batch of Quaaludes or other doggie downers hit town it seemed that a lot of women would be stumbling around ‘Luded out and in a daze. Downers seemed to be more of a woman thing but there were a lot of guys eating them, too.


Dealing with these zoned out people kind of sucked. They ran around acting and talking like an old 78 rpm record being played at 33-1/3 rpm.  It only took a sentence out of their mouths for me to know that it was time for me to make my excuse to leave and split.  I hated being around people when they were like that.


Half of them didn’t know what they were doing. They didn’t call Quaaludes ‘panty droppers’ for nothing. If you had half a brain you didn’t go home with a woman whacked out on Quaaludes no matter how willing she was. Mornings could often be rough on a guy as the woman would occasionally wake up with buyer’s remorse.


More than one unlucky guy woke up to headaches and one or two guys were charged with sexual assault. The DA would generally throw it out if he found out Quaaludes were involved. It was hard to get a conviction.


What was interesting is that women would often come to some guy’s defense and be willing to testify that they saw the purported ‘victim’ groping guys at the bar on the night in question.


There were a number of decent women in that town that had a sense of right and wrong and didn’t like women like that because it made them look bad.


It got worse when the user had a few drinks to go along with them. A lot of people would pass out in the bar.


The strippers in the club would slow down, too. Sometimes that was funny to watch. It was about the only time I’d wander in. Between that and the fact that there would be passed out patrons to scrape up the manager of the club told me he hated it when Quaaludes came into town. I told him I felt the same way. I hated being around the effects of Quaaludes.


I do remember one guy that got into Quaaludes. He was a troublemaker and when he had a couple ‘Ludes in him someone bought him a couple straight up Crown Royals and it wasn’t long before he passed out. He woke up in a Dempsey dumpster much to my amusement as I didn’t like him much, either.


Magic Mushrooms were another thing entirely.


I remember when one guy got on an airplane headed for the cow fields of Whatcom County, Washington where psilocybin mushrooms grew on cow pies regularly. He left with a small bag of clothes and an empty 5 gallon pail and returned with the pail nearly stuffed full.


He wasn’t a capitalist. All he wanted out of the pail full of mushrooms was to get his expenses paid. He practically gave them away and a good chunk of the town got pretty toasted for the few days the pail full lasted. He kind of considered it a public service to get half the town stoned out of their minds.


I do have to admit that dealing with people whacked out on mushrooms was often entertaining. They make a lot of people laugh uncontrollably. After a while it becomes contagious. I would be sitting there talking to someone that was laughing and pretty soon I would be rolling on the floor with him.


For someone whacked out on ‘shrooms just about anything could be funny. Tell someone their house burned down and you were more than likely to be treated by gales of laughter.


Mushrooms didn’t affect the body the same way the downers did. People on mushrooms were coordinated and maybe a bit animated.


Of course, cocaine was a constant as it was a huge moneymaker for drug dealers and pot was pretty much a staple.


The local police generally didn’t bother too much with drugs so long as it was kept away from the high schools. Every now and then there would be a pro-forma bust and the dealers that were getting greedy, out of hand or advertised too much would generally get carted off. A day or two later it would be business as normal.


The police were reluctant to put a lot of effort into victimless crimes and generally overlooked gambling and drugs. Personally I avoided the drug scene for a few good reasons. While getting busted took some doing, you never knew if you’d get picked up accidentally in a raid and become collateral damage.


A drug bust of any kind was and is a bad thing to have on one’s record. It can cripple a person’s career and life. There are other reasons I avoided the drug scene, too. I have posted them in an earlier post.


I have had people ask me why I know so much about life on the streets and it is simply because I lived on the streets for a while and saw things firsthand. When you live in a camper/trailer or a sailboat in a fishing port you see all sorts of things.


Prostitution was controlled in town simply by tacitly allowing one madam to have a monopoly of sorts which she guarded with an iron fist. Maybe I’ll do a post on this sometime. It was interesting how that system worked. It actually made sense and I have to give the police credit for the way they handled it.








To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment