Wednesday, September 3, 2014

One of the things I have noticed

 is that people are more inclined to believe something that isn't true as opposed to the truth.

The other day I had a newbie ask me how many times I had been married. It is actually a somewhat common question among professional mariners as the business seems to be hard on marriages.

I told the kid "Three times but the second didn't count."

When he asked what that meant I told him a wholly ficticious whacked out story about waking up in a rental car in a Las Vegas wedding chapel parking lot.

''There was a woman next to me passed out and I saw a piece of paper on the dashboard. It was a wedding certificate. I went through her purse and found her driver's license and her name was on it along with mine," I explained.

When he asked me what I did I told him I took the certificate into the chapel and gave the guy $200 to make it go away.

Then I went down the street to get something to eat and when I returned to the car she was gone so I took it back to the rental office and left town. Never heard another word about it.

He accepted it as gospel.

Of course when I told him about some of the stuff I had really done commercial fishing in Alaska he acted pretty damned dubious.

I told him fishing had been a crapshoot and that every trip was different. You could either come in with a paycheck of several thousand or you could come in broke.

He didn't believe it. He'd seen on TV that everyone that fishes in the Bering Sea is a millionaire.

People are odd that way.



To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment